7 Questions Science Still Can’t Answer

1. Does God Exist?


Science estimates that 13.7 billion years ago the big bang created the universe. However science has never revealed why the big bang happened and what preceded it. Moreover, scientists are still perplexed about how the first living organisms grew from life less matter. Mathematician Roger Penrose calculated that the probability of creating universe filled with life would be a number closer to zero than anyone has ever imagined. The question therefore remains whether there is an omnipotent individual that, against all odds, had the power to create our cosmos.

2. How are memories stored and retrieved?


When a new fact is learned, physical changes in the brain occur across a network of synapses and neurons. However, neurologists do not fully understand what these changes are and how they hold knowledge. Although some theories exist about how memories are stored, the concept that has left neurologists most baffled is memory retrieval. Scientists hope to understand how in just tiny fraction of a second we can recollect events from decades in the past. Although the subject has been heavily researched, it still remains unresolved.

3. Why do we dream?


Early civilization believed that dreams were a gateway between earth and the gods. This was later scientifically rejected, along with Freud’s theory that dreams express our subconscious desires. Its widely agreed that dreams are crucial to help process emotions and sleep research has revealed the existence of rapid eye movement dreams and the point at which we are most likely to remember a dream. However a scientific explanation as to why we envisage strange images when we sleep remains in question.

4. What is the universe made of?


Atoms, which form everything we see around us, account for 5% of the universe, but astronomers cant explain what the other 95% of the universe is made of. In the past 80 years, astronomers have determined that majority of the universe is made up of two entities, dark matter and dark energy. Dark matter is believed to bind the galaxies together while dark energy is believed to be pushing the universe’s expansion. But as dark matter and dark energy are invisible to light and electromagnetic radiation, it is impossible to detect or understand what they actually are.

5. What happens after we die?

Walk into the light

Scientists have proven two stages of death. Clinical death, when heart stops beating and biological death, when all other organs shut down. However what happens after death remains elusive to researchers. Some people who have had near death experiences claim to have felt out of body sensation and seen deceased loved ones. Despite extensive research into the subject, no concrete neurological or biological explanations behind these phenomena have ever been found.

6. What’s at a bottom of a black whole?


Black holes have a gravitational pull that is so strong that everything caught in them becomes permanently trapped. While astronomers hold extensive knowledge of black holes, they have been unable to understand what lies at bottom of them. Einstein theorized that black holes continue to cave in, until they become infinitely small and some physicists believe that they act as porthole to other universe. Unfortunately, we currently don’t have the tools or technology advanced enough to prove any of these theories, so truth remains mystery.

7. Do ghosts exist?


The presence of ghosts haunting the planet has been debated for centuries. Thousands of photos, videos, and first hand sightings of ghosts have been accumulated, but no scientific proof has been found. Both ghost hunters and scientists have used electromagnetic field detectors and thermal imaging to try and find scientific evidence of their existence but to no avail. Most scientists believe these sightings are caused purely by mental phenomena, electrical fields and ocular vibrations. However, these theories can neither be proven nor be disproven, leaving the existence of ghosts in question.